New Duel Academy
Welcome to Sacred Beast Duel Academy powered by Industrial Illusions. Our main goal is to bring the Yu-Gi-Oh community more alive.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

New Duel Academy
Welcome to Sacred Beast Duel Academy powered by Industrial Illusions. Our main goal is to bring the Yu-Gi-Oh community more alive.
New Duel Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Book of Moon - Staple or not?

+3
hdlofstrom
Maximillion Pegasus
Dominant Girl 92
7 posters

Go down

Book of Moon - Staple or not? Empty Book of Moon - Staple or not?

Post by Dominant Girl 92 Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:01 am

So let's talk about Book of Moon. The main thing in which I am interested for people to have some input is the question of whether Book of Moon should be considered a "staple". 

I know of some very accomplished players who consider it to be a staple in just the same way as Dark Hole is, and also Heavy Storm or Monster Reborn were, when they were legal. That is, you can and should put it in almost any deck. In just the same way that every deck uses Dark Hole unless there is a very good reason why they shouldn't, so too should every deck begin by using Book of Moon, unless it conflicts with something specific in the deck. 

Some other players I have spoken to, however, believe that Book of Moon is highly overrated. These players fully understand how to use the card, and how versatile it can be, but just feel that it is not powerful. Some have even said that it could become unlimited and it probably would not affect the game in any great way. 

I think that most players are probably in the third group, those who maintain that Book of Moon is a good card, and has its place, but should not go into every deck automatically. At the moment, I would place myself in this camp. I use it in Geargias because of Geargiarmor, I use it in Spellbooks because of Spellbook Magician of Prophecy, but I don't use it in Frog Monarchs. It wouldn't be a terrible choice, I just feel that, on balance, it wouldn't do very much. 

So, where do you guys stand on this? Do think Book of Moon is:
1) a staple, deserving a place in almost every deck?
2) overrated, only deserving a place in very few decks?
3) a good card, though not a staple; great in some decks, not so good in others?
Dominant Girl 92
Dominant Girl 92
Raviel Girls Leader (Admin)

Back to top Go down

Book of Moon - Staple or not? Empty Re: Book of Moon - Staple or not?

Post by Maximillion Pegasus Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:34 am

Book of moon is only consitent because it is at one, reason being you wait for the right time and not exploit it like dark world players do with gates or Infernaitys recycle Archfiend. This said id say its a semi-staple, you only use it in decks that need that control factor.

Edit: however I'd say it's more of a tech choice than a staple or semi-staple, because it's down to your deck build and what cards work with it and what cards don't. It's not over rated but it clearly shouldn't be in every deck, this is down to the players preference.
Maximillion Pegasus
Maximillion Pegasus
Chancellor

https://ndacademy.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by hdlofstrom Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:19 am

I really don't think it's very good, there are better cards for most of what I would use it for.
hdlofstrom
hdlofstrom

Back to top Go down

Post by hazmah Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:41 pm

I agree with hdolffstrom
hazmah
hazmah

Back to top Go down

Post by Lasen Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:32 am

I agree with your point Dominant Girl 92. It's not a card that you can spam in any deck any expect it to work out all the time. When you have flip effects or when your deck has a certain weakness against effects that could be solved by the opponent's monster not staying up, then you will obviousy play it.
Moon also gives you breathing space, since your opponent misses an attack and/or effect by using it smart.
However, one should not just toss it in a deck that already has trouble finding spots for other cards.
Lasen
Lasen

Back to top Go down

Post by Dominant Girl 92 Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:39 am

Thanks everyone, I think we have a variety of opinions. I find it surprising though that no one so far has spoken in favour of Book of Moon's being a staple. Many people on DN swear that it is. One Italian friend of mine, who has won a number of Regionals and is a tournament judge, told me that Book of Moon is a card you should put into any deck if there is space. Anyone agree with him?

If I'm understanding everyone correctly who has responded so far, no one thinks this, but I'm curious to see if anyone out there does consider it to be truly "staple".
Dominant Girl 92
Dominant Girl 92

Back to top Go down

Post by Lasen Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:46 am

I truly try to put it into as many decks as possible, but only if I know that the deck won't be hurt by not having [Card name] in it instead of Book of Moon. But I STILL don't find it to be a staple.
Lasen
Lasen

Back to top Go down

Post by hazmah Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:45 am

I really don't like book of moon it can be used for spellbooks or something but that's only with flip effects or you can use it too stall which swords of revealing light can do much better or wall of revealing light, which are also limited to one.
hazmah
hazmah

Back to top Go down

Post by hdlofstrom Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:20 am

swords of revealing light is at 3. O.o
and book of moon is chainable to the attack w/out a massive life point cost
I consider book of moon better than wall of revealing light, but it isn't anywhere near a staple. a semi-staple, to be put into flip effect decks maybe. ghostricks for example can make a lot of use of it. not a staple in other cases though.
hdlofstrom
hdlofstrom

Back to top Go down

Post by Drewzer44 Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:48 am

nope dominant girl u r actually wrong book of moon is good and over powered. It stops tour guide and those xyz and synchros, so reconsider ur argument plz. It also kills things with high attack so its pretty awesome Very Happy
Drewzer44
Drewzer44
Uria Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dominant Girl 92 Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:14 am

Drewzer44, I don't really know what you mean when you say I am "wrong" and need to reconsider my argument. I haven't taken a position on this topic, and I think I have expressed all the competing views equally. In fact, I tried very hard, when introducing this topic, to be as neutral as possible.

What I have done is explain the different views that players have, and opened up the topic for discussion; I think most other people have recognized this. All I have said is that I use it in some decks for some reasons, and not in other decks for other reasons. This isn't a forum for me to convince other people that my view of Book of Moon is right; truth be told, I am undecided on just how good this card is. I was hoping to get your opinions, and let you guys come to some sort of consensus.

Sorry, I thought I had made that clear. 
Dominant Girl 92
Dominant Girl 92

Back to top Go down

Post by hdlofstrom Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:18 am

it really wasn't your fault. wasn't Drew's either. just a misunderstanding Smile

looking at this, really you probably meant that I was wrong? or one of the others?
hdlofstrom
hdlofstrom

Back to top Go down

Post by Drewzer44 Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:38 pm

umm i just meant that book of moon is a good card and u are wrong if u say otherwise, i win so much with that card tho, it is good offensive and defensive.
Drewzer44
Drewzer44
Uria Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dominant Girl 92 Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:30 pm

Yes I think hdlofstrom is right - Drewzer44, you were perhaps attempting to engage with what one of the other people said (which is why I was confused that you singled me out). 

I certainly agree that Book of Moon can be a great card and has some very useful applications. But just for clarification, are you saying that it is "staple"?

Also: post number 100, guys! I think I deserve a cake and a massage.
Dominant Girl 92
Dominant Girl 92

Back to top Go down

Post by Lasen Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:26 am

Dominant Girl 92 wrote:Yes I think hdlofstrom is right - Drewzer44, you were perhaps attempting to engage with what one of the other people said (which is why I was confused that you singled me out). 

I certainly agree that Book of Moon can be a great card and has some very useful applications. But just for clarification, are you saying that it is "staple"?

Also: post number 100, guys! I think I deserve a cake and a massage.
Gratz on 100th post! Can't bake for shit so no cake from me :[.
Lasen
Lasen

Back to top Go down

Post by hazmah Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:35 am

hdolf something I got confused so I don't care
hazmah
hazmah

Back to top Go down

Post by hdlofstrom Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:56 am

hdlofstrom.
Dominant Girl, I sent you a mental pumpkin pie.
hdlofstrom
hdlofstrom

Back to top Go down

Post by KarinTheHeartless Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:22 am

there are no such thing as staples, every card has a reason to exist, some are just too lazy to use the search button and try "new" cards ;3

KarinTheHeartless
Raviel Girls Member

Back to top Go down

Post by hdlofstrom Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:39 pm

personally, I check the New First option on DN every week or so.
hdlofstrom
hdlofstrom

Back to top Go down

Post by Lasen Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:29 pm

Me too hdlofstorm. It's nice checking for newer cards to use.
Lasen
Lasen

Back to top Go down

Post by hdlofstrom Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:14 am

ikr. I've been looking at the new Shinra archetype, they might be cool with synchro lightsworns.
hdlofstrom
hdlofstrom

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum